Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Those Were the Days


Remember back when you were in elementary school? Life sure was much more simple then. I attended the same elementary school from the time that I entered Miss Kimball's kindergarten class until I graduated as one of Mr. Jensen's sixth graders. Those were the days. I still have fond memories of each and every one of my teachers at Provost Elementary School!

Of course there were others who influenced my life when I was back in school. Let's not forget those wonderful lunch ladies! They used to fix meal from scratch back then. None of those preformed nuggets made from chicken parts and frozen cookie dough.

Do you remember getting out of class to work in the lunch room? I was surprised to find out that isn't require of my children. I'm told that they don't want them working in the lunch room because it takes them away from the [real] learning that they do in class. Hmmmmm....

Well, all I can say is that they're really missing out. I especially loved working in the lunchroom on the day that the lunch ladies made Peanut Butter Fingers for dessert because the helpers always got TWO!

Years later a neighbor was able to wrestle that treasured recipe from the lunch ladies and it ended up in our church cookbook. Of course, now it's a family favorite and has also been passed around my neighborhood. Now I'll share it with you.

Make a batch for the ones that you love and see if they don't get devoured! There will even be enough to share with your friends next door.

PEANUT BUTTER FINGERS

Cream together:
3/4 c. butter
3/4 c. peanut butter
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar

Add:
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Add:
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix ingredients well, then add:
1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. oatmeal (not quick cooking)

Press evenly onto a 12x17" jelly roll pan.
Bake for 12-15 mins. at 350 deg. F. DO NOT BAKE UNTIL BROWN, JUST UNTIL EDGES BEGIN TO TURN BROWN.

Remove from oven and sprinkle with a package of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Let melt, then gently spread over entire surface with the back of a spoon.

Let chocolate set (this works best if done in the fridge) and then top with peanut butter icing.

PEANUT BUTTER ICING
3 c. powdered sugar
1 c. peaunt butter
enough milk to make a thick, but spreadable icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment