Thursday, August 02, 2007

Time To Relax



A few weeks ago I was asked to teach a class on "using herbs from your garden" to a local group of women. Now I'm no expert, but I do I grow several herbs in my garden; some that I use for cooking and some that are simply decorative. I often share my bounty with neighbors who need a little bit of this or a little bit of that. I think that's who this whole "class thing" started.



At the class I shared some of my favorite recipes and had a tasters table that included:


  • rosemary roast beef (which is quick and easy to make in the crock pot)

  • pesto

  • parsely dip

  • potato goo, and

  • a couple of flavored vinegars

But the favorites things were the lavender eye pillows that I made for each attendee. The gentle weight of the flax and the relaxing scent of the lavender helps relieve stress, tension, and headaches. Now who couldn't use one of those?


What?! You'd love to make one for yourself and all of your dearest friends?


Well, yes...I'd be happy to give you instructions! Here you go.....



Lavender and Flax Eye Pillow

You start with two 3.5" x 8.5" pieces of fabric (cotton, satin or silk). You can cut them in the typical eye pillow shape, if you prefer, but it's not necessary.


Now stitch the right sides together using a 1/4" seam allowance and leaving a 1.5" opening to turn. Turn right side out and press.



Now this is the fun part.....combine 1/2 cup flax seeds and 1/4 cup dried lavender flowers (you can find both at your local health food store). Ahhh...doesn't that smell nice? Using a funnel, fill the pillow with the flax seeds and lavender. You can use a funnel from your kitchen or make one by rolling up a piece of paper. The lavender can sometimes be stubborn, so you may need to force it down the hole with a pencil or something similar.



The last thing to do is stitch the opening closed, either by hand or by machine.


Now lay down, put your feet up and enjoy a few relaxing minutes by yourself. If you prefer something cool over your eyes, store your pillow inside a plastic zipper bag in the freezer. That's a real treat!


Now wasn't that simple?

9 comments:

  1. How wonderful you taught a class on herbs! I have always wanted to learn more about them. Sounds like your class was a smashing success! I love the sound of "potato goo" - it's gotta be yummy with a name like that.
    Thank you for sharing the "recipe" for the eye pillows - I intend to make them for Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info. I am gonna use the pattern in Sept.for a party I'm having. Everyone will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just perfect - we have an awful lot of lavender blooms that I have been carefully cutting and drying all summer long. Now I know just what to do with them *s*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, that sounds like heaven! And putting it in the refrigerator for coolness sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What?! You don't know what Potato Goo is?

    Potato Goo (don't know what else to call it) is all of the toppings for a potato mixed together. It makes it easy when you have a big get-together so that you don't have to have separate bowls of each item.

    1 pint sour cream
    1 cube butter, melted and returned to room temperature
    1 c. grated cheese
    1/4 c. chopped chives
    1/4 c. bacon, cooked and diced (optional)
    Mix together and serve over baked potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH no!! Our flax (linseed) was delivered to the oilseed manufacturer last week...I wonder if there is any in the seed silo??? those look great and I could use them for some retreat gifts this weekend..off to search the silo...without hub finding out!!!Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have bags of lavender sitting in my sewing room (no kidding!) and I was trying to think of somethig more interesting then just little bags to put them in. Thanks for the idea. Now out to hunt for flax...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for posting on those lavender scented eye pillows! Years ago I suffered from bad headaches, and someone gave me one, and it really helped.

    ReplyDelete