Thursday, November 29, 2007

Cinnamon Roasted Almonds

On Tuesday morning I went to the mall to pick up a few items from Trade Secret. Immediately upon setting foot inside the mall my senses became overwhelmed with the smell of cinnamon roasted almonds. As I walked down the corridor I passed a little shop that was set up especially for the holiday season. As much as I wanted to stop and buy some sugary cinnamony almonds I resisted and bought only the shampoo, which was my intended purchase.

On the ride home I couldn't shake the though or smell from my mind, so once I got home I came straight to my computer and started searching for a recipe to make my own. After experimenting with a couple of variations I came up with the following recipe. I took these to my quilt guild Christmas party that night where they were a big hit.

You'll be surprised to discover just how easy these are to make! Enjoy!!!

CINNAMON ROASTED ALMONDS

1 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 egg white
1 tsp. vanilla
4 cups almonds

1. Preheat oven to 250 deg. F (120 deg. C). Cover a 13x18" baking sheet with parchment paper (OR grease well).

2. In small bowl combine sugar, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.

3. In a large bowl slightly beat the egg white. Add vanilla and beat until very frothy, but not stiff. Add the almonds and stir until well coated. Add the cinnamon and sugar mixture and toss until evenly coated. Spread evenly on the prepared pan.

4. Bake for one hour, stirring half way through. Allow to cool then store in an airtight container.

Just a note: I found that it was cheaper to buy a large bag of almonds from Costco than it was to buy them from the local restaurant supply store. Since you'll want to make several batches of this recipe, shop around to find the best deal. You can make two batches from a 48 oz. bag of Kirkland Signature almonds from Costco, which contains approx. 9 cups.

6 comments:

  1. Oooh and I bet the house smelled wonderful, too. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. My quilting Christmas party is Wednesday . . . the ladies are going to be so happy *s*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe, sounds good and easy. I plan on giving friends some treats in their gifts this year. These will go great in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe. I have to go to the grocery store this afternoon so will get me a small bag of almonds. They are the best for you. Will try this. To bad I didn't have this before going to Costcos the other day with my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! My mouth is watering - that picture is very appetizing - I can almost smell the cinnamon! Thank you for the recipe, Kairle! I have GOT to make some SOONLY!! Yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! I can smell them cooking in the oven...I'll bet your house just smelled heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know that I make these for my family ALL the time now? Thanks for the great recipe. Post more!---Oh, and this is Suz, not Monica

    ReplyDelete