Wednesday, November 28, 2007

What I've Been Up To

I hope that you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving day! Our family enjoyed a fabulous dinner at the home of my brother and sister-in-law. That evening the rest of my extended family joined together at my home for an evening of desserts, games and visiting. We had a small crowd of 32!


Thanks to all who participated in the controversial candied yams poll. It appears that those in favor outweighed those who passed on the side dish. I mean that figuratively, not literally! LOL!


And because we didn't have quite enough to eat on Thanksgiving day, we were invited to dinner and a concert on Friday evening. And not just any dinner... We ate at The Roof atop the Joseph Smith Memorial building in Salt Lake City. It was a real treat not only to dine there, but also to watch as beautiful, historic Temple Square was lighted for Christmas.

Above is the Christmas tree in the lobby of the JSM building.

And this is one of the shots that I took of the spires of the Salt Lake LDS temple.
More lights. And lots of people!
After checking out the lights we headed across town to the Manheim Steamroller Christmas concert. We had fabulous seats at the tables near the stage! This was the first time that I had gone to one of their concerts. Hubby and I had a great time with all of our friends.


On Saturday the Ballerina and I made a quick trip to southern Utah to return College Girl to her home away from home. We did some shopping, ate dinner at Chili's and spent the night at my parents' winter home in St. George. It was fun to snuggle in bed together as we watch the movie, Elf, on TV. It was so fun to have College girl with us for a few days. We sure miss her when she's gone!
Last night was the Christmas party for the small quilt guild that I belong to. We each took a gift that was $10 or less. I took this little tote that I made from a Teresa Kogut panel from a year or two ago, along with some homemade cinnamon almonds. I'll share the recipe tomorrow. The party was pretty fun and I came home with a little snowman guy (that I put in my kitchen) and a few other holiday favors.
Look...I FINALLY finished binding my Trees on the Table topper. Now I can give it to my mother who's birthday was a couple of weeks ago. Better late than never, huh?

13 comments:

  1. Mannheim Steamroller has to be my all time favorite. I got to see them several years ago in Omaha, which of course is usually their last stop of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Mannheim Steamroller is my all-time favorite too! :>) I just can't get enough of their Christmas music! Lucky you, that you got to go to a concert of their's! :>) Your trees topper is really cute! I may have to do another one or two before the Season has passed. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures of the Chrstmas lights at the Temple are georgous, Kairle. What a fun weekend you had. Such a cut prestent you took and yes, I'd like that almond recipe.
    Glad you finally got the Trees topper done. Had you told your Mom about it? At least she will have it before Christmas and traveling South.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like "life is good" in your neck of the woods. Thanks for sharing the gorgeous photos!

    While I'm in the mood I'll crank the A/C way down and get it good and cold in here and go do some more decorating.

    I'd love to just do deserts for our small crowd for Christmas this year but I was nearly black-balled from the family for just suggesting it! LOL. Of course you can guess who's house it will be at again, and who gets to do all the work to make the magic happen. Bah humbug!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, so many wonderful photos - I'm enjoying. I like MS too as well as Trans Siberian Orchestra. I was listening to them on a DVD as I quilted on the longarm today, their Christmas one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a way to start the Christmas holidays! Your photos are beautiful! I love Mannheim Steamroller, and have seen them in concert, too. They're wonderful! Your bag is too cute, and the table topper is very pretty, Kairle! You did such a nice job on it.
    Merry Christmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos . . . all those lights are just sparkling *s*

    ReplyDelete
  8. The photos of the tree was beautiful and love your table topper. Utah is beautiful during the holiday for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just beautiful (the table topper, the lights, the day -- all of it sounds just wonderful!) And the concert? I LOVE Manheim Steamroller (my husband rolls his eyes -- I tell him to hush) -- the concert must have been fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a wonderful time, Kairle! Your almonds sound super too! Oh, and of course I love the way your Trees on the Table turned out--darling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sure stay busy! The picture you took of the temple is fabulous! Your bag that you made sure turned out cute. Your almonds sound wonderful. I may have to take that recipe with me to AZ for Christmas. Nice to see your little trees all finished up. I hope your mom loves it. I gave two friends each one this week and they went nuts! Nice to get that kind of response! I bet your home looks lovely with all your pretty decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your table topper is just wonderful and the Christmas photos are beautiful...could be post cards. Mannheim is my favorite Christmas group. I've seen them twice and just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the topper!!! Gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete