Thursday, March 22, 2007

It's all the Buzz

Here's a little quilt that I whipped up this week. With Spring in the air I was ready for something bright and cheery and though using fabrics from my 30's stash would be just the ticket.

Buzz Saw Block
To make a baby sized quilt, using twelve 11" blocks, cut:
(24) 6.5" squares 30's fabric -- cut (2) 2x6" rectangles to match each 6.5" square
(24) 6.5" squares muslin -- draw a diagonal line, corner to corner on each square

To make a large throw, using thirty 11" blocks, cut:
(60) 6.5" squares 30's fabric -- cut (2) 2x6" rectangles to match each 6.5" square
(60) 6.5" squares muslin -- draw a diagonal line, corner to corner on each square

Take all 6.5" muslin squares and sew to Aunt Gracie square matching the right sides together. Sew a 1/4" seam down each side of the diagonal line. Cut on the line and then press the seam to the dark. Trim each square to 6".





Cut each square into (4) 1.5" pieces. Make sure that all of the blocks are turned so that the light muslin corner is to the upper left side, as shown. Stack each block together.






Now take a block set and lay it out the opposite way it was. Sew the blocks together as shown in the picture. Sew the 2x6" piece to the block end. Press toward the 2x6" piece.














Sew four different 6" pieced blocks together to form one large 11.5" (unfinished) block.







Note: I put a 1" (1.5" cut) inside muslin border before the outer green border.
SaveSave

17 comments:

  1. Oh my, that's adorable! Thanks for the pattern...I may have to whip one of these up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pattern it looks fantastic. Just stumbled across your blog, it's lovely. You do lovely work. I'll visit again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial! Love that block. I've done a pineapple on foundation paper, but, I'm thinkin' I might like to try this method next...hate to tear off the paper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a sweet quilt! Thanks for sharing your quilting technique. Hum.... I have lots of 20's & 30's repro that would love to be used up! Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely baby quilt.I need to do up a crib quilt for my new GGB to be. Thanks for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty quilt Kairle! It's one that would be pretty for a baby, or equally nice put out for springtime.

    I like the white inner border. Great decision to add it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great method of making the blocks--Eileen told me it was easy, but I hadn't looked yet. Never woulda thunk . . . . So when are you going to Broadbent's?! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, love your Buzz Saw quilt! I will definitely have to try this one. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this pattern printed out. It looks so cute and so easy.

    You definitely made it pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great directions for making the buss saw block. I hadn't seen that before.
    Thanks for sharing and for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! I've seen it done other ways but this looks the easiest!!!! I need a quick baby quilt and this just may be it. As for the children....I blinked and mine went from kindergarten to one married and one graduating college!! AAHH. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice tutorial! if you put two HST (one light up...and one light down) together..and then cut? You get them going up and down. VOILA! Now you have Delectable mts. Pattern at Quiltville.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this super tutorial - i've printed it out and would love to make it, if I can just get some time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I have been wanting to make this quilt. Looks so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. First I see your quilt, and think to myself, "that's something I'd like to make...". And it was like being showered with sunshine and gumdrops when I saw your tutorail. What a fabulous tutorial you did!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely simple little block, it looks really nice, I am bookmarking your blog for future reference, thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this. I have some Aunt Gracie fabric that i could not commit to what i would make. I really like this!!!

    ReplyDelete