Thursday, March 08, 2007

Peer Pressure


I distinctly remember a conversation that I had with my son several years ago. It was a defining point in both of our lives. I was driving him home from high school one day and we started talking about his friends. DS has always been blessed to have great friends. You know, the kind you would choose for your son if you had the chance to hand pick them. This group of about eight or ten guys, who played basketball and soccer together all through junior high and high school, call themselves the Fun Boys.
Anyway, my son was talking about how his friends made him want to be a better person. After listening for a while I commented about how nice it must be to have that kind of peer pressure. I'll always remember the look on his face when he said, "I've never thought of peer pressure as being a positive thing."
Isn't that funny? We typically think of peer pressure as something negative, but really, the door swings both ways.
Like my son, I have always been blessed with great friends. I'm still close to the girls with whom I started elementary school. I also have three dear friends that live in my neighborhood. We give help and support to each other in almost all facets of our lives. Then there are my quilting friends. They are are a unique group of ladies. Many I have met, but most of them I only know from online conversations. They inspire me and encourage me in my quilting and generally try to keep me in line.
Three of those friends have been putting the pressure on me to update my blog. They've been threatening to make up stories about what might have happened to me during my trip to Hawaii that might explain why I haven't updated during the past year. And so, here I am, caving into peer pressure. Patty, Kim and Sharon...this post is for you!
BTW, that's a picture of DS that was taken about a month and a half ago in Parras, Mexico.

2 comments:

  1. Getting to see that photo of Ryan was worth all the nagging (oops! I meant encouragement) it took to get you posting again!

    Your life is so interesting, I hope you'll be able to find a minute here and there to share a glimpse of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippeeee! She's ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-ak! Glad I could be of assistance! Now who am I going to make up stories about though? LOL! Great photo of Ryan!

    ReplyDelete