Thursday, January 03, 2008

Bound and Determined!

Have I mentioned before that I don't necessarily care for the binding part of quilting? Oh, yes...I have...several times! I know it's gotta be done in order to have a finished quilt, but for some reason I put it off until I'm in a crunch.


Some of the above quilts have been sitting around for quite some time. As a matter of fact, I think that the second quilt from the top is the first "real" quilt that I made. Ya know how I can tell? The binding is actually already sewn on, but man, oh man, is it done all wrong! LOL! I'm definitely going to have to take the binding completely off and start over on that one. ROFLOL!!!


So, my goal for the next couple of weeks is to get the above five quilts bound...and labeled, to boot! To keep track of my progress, I'm going to start a column on my side bar which will be a list of quilts that I have completely finished during 2008. Stay tuned!

13 comments:

  1. You are funny! I LOVE TO DO THE BINDING!!! In fact I wish I could do yours! Those quilts look good. Come visit my new blog. I put your blog in my list of favorite places to visit. I hope that is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. o ok i made the change thanks for letting me know

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I hate doing the quilting, because I'm lousy at it, second, I hate doing the binding because it sucks! LOL I love making tops, but it stops there! Have you ever tried using the Fons & Porter binding tool? It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be on your side on the binding deal. I don't totally hate it but I am always ready to move onto the next quilt. Enough already!

    Fortunately my quilt group is so good to help me with this since most of my stuff is donation work. Bless them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Luck. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The one task that remained was to sew on the binding . . . . Usually Sylvia found such simple handwork tedious, the least creative and enjoyable task of the quilting art . . . ." Excerpt from the New Year's Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini. I thought of you when I read that last night, Kairle! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have to say I'm on the "love to bind" side of this issue--partially because it marks the end of the construction phase of the quilt and the beginning of the "share the pleasure" phase of the quilt. I wouldn't rebind your first quilt if I were in your place. Isn't it nice to go back and see how far you've come?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Binding is my favorite part . . . wish I was near enough to do that stitchin' for you *s*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you, Kairle, You don't quilt them and it's so easy to just lay them aside. I like the handwork to do while watching TV. I just need to get them quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photo-- - you should put it on your side bar--- I love binding by the way...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you, binding is not my favourite part of the process, but at least it's the home stretch. The only part I like less than binding is basting. Piecing and quilting are entirely wonderful!
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have been posting like a mad woman, Kairle! I am SO far behind in my reading! I don't care for sewing the bindings, either, but it sure feels good when they're done, doesn't it? Good luck to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete