Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

This is what we woke up to in Happy Valley. I knew that we would be getting snow this morning so I ran most of my errands yesterday. Still have to make a trip to the post office to mail a camera to College Girl.
With snow packed roads like this, I'm sure you can guess that carpooling the girls to school this morning was a trick. My typical 10 minute round trip to the elementary school took me 30 mintues today. Fortunately, everyone was on their best behavior and I didn't see any accidents. There was one car that slid off the road going up the hill to the junior high school. On the way back down the hill I saw a couple of high school boys trying to push it out of the gutter.
This is the view of the cul de sac that I see from my front window. Hubby spent a couple of hours with the snowblower out helping many of our neighbors. I think he's still trying to decide if he's going to attempt the commute to his office or work from home today.

Does this girl love to bake, or what?! For the past three days the Ballerina has come from school craving ginger snaps. Not sure why, but if it's ginger snaps my baby wants, it's ginger snaps my baby gets! So last night we made cookies!!!
Fresh from the oven. Can't ya just smell 'em?
Okay, okay...here's the recipe...



SPICY GINGER SNAPS


Cream:

1 1/2 c. shortening

2 c. sugar


Add:

2 eggs, beaten

3/4 c. molasses


Combine together and add:

4 c. flour

4 t. soda

1 t. salt

3 T. ground ginger

2 t. cinnamon


Bake at 350 degs. for 7-8 minutes (until they begin to crack on top and turn brown around the edges).

Enjoy!!!

14 comments:

  1. Oh yum, do those cookies ever look good! Maybe you should just cozy up at home today with a cup of tea and a plate of those and stay out of the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, those cookies look great! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe -- I'm taking note!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy!
    I love ginger snaps, I love cookies send some over! I will put the coffee on! or tea :)
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummo!

    Like mother like daughter eh?

    Wish I could stop by for a snack!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hot apple cider, fresh warm ginger cookies and a snowy day . . . Happy Valley looks just divine *s*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you included the recipe - I love ginger snaps and occassinaly 'crave' them. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK. Your winter wonderland has forced me to de-lurk. How pretty! I'm sure it's all terribly inconvenient, but for me sitting here in Australia in 42 degree celcius heat it's charming! That and the fact I've never seen snow so my experiences can't put me off it!

    Now that I've de-lurked I have to say you are an inspiration! So many quilts! So many beautiful quilts! I call myself a quilter, but it's been a while since a quilt has been finished here. Hey! It's a new year and anything could happen this year! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not too crazy about ginger snaps, but those look scrumptious! And what an adorable chef. :)

    Your snow is beautiful. I love the "color of snow". That "blueish" color the sky and world becomes. We're supposed to get snow tonight and tomorrow. I don't generally mind the snow, but DD#1 has to be at school at 5:45, which means me getting up at 5:15 to shovel the driveway. urgh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's a ROAD under there?! Can't you all just ski to work and school?! ROFLOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH the snow looks so pretty. I know, I'm not the one driving in it. But still I love seeing it.
    Those cookies look yummy. She does love to bake doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hiya
    Just passing. We're going to try your recipe - thanks . Love baking. The icecream scoop - what a fantastic idea!!
    cheers Tina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hiya
    Just passing. We're going to try your recipe - thanks . Love baking. The icecream scoop - what a fantastic idea!!
    cheers Tina

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a winter wonderland! It's just beautiful! Thank you so much for the recipe, too! I love ginger snaps, and these look delicious! Very cute photo of your baker, too!

    ReplyDelete