Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Explosive News!

We're having terrible weather right now...no snow (here), but lots of harsh winds blowing all of the old snow around! See that snow blowing off the top of Mount Timpanogos? I just took that picture a few minutes ago out of my family room window. BRRRRR!!!!!

I've heard about three, make that four (just heard another one!), large explosions during the past hour or so, so it makes me wonder if they are doing avalanche control on the other side of the mountain or in the canyon.

A couple of years ago there was a shell shot from a howitzer artillery cannon to trigger an avalanche in Provo Canyon. The shell overshot the mountain and landed in some one's backyard just a couple miles north of here. How scary would that be? Fortunately, no one was seriously hurt. It could have been much worse!

Sundance Ski Resort is on the back side of "my" mountain. Ever heard of the Sundance Film Festival? It's a small event that Robert Redford hosts every year. LOL!!! Starts later this week. Why someone would host a star studded event in the middle of a Utah winter is hard to figure out. Okay, we did host the Olympics back in 2002, but that's different!

The answer to my burning question: Yes, they are doing avalanche control in the canyon. I just checked the state website to verify. I'll be back later...I'm heading down to the bomb shelter. lol!

7 comments:

  1. it looks like you live in AF or PG--that's about the view we had when we lived there. I remember when I lived down in Provo in the late 90's and Y mountain was on fire--it was so smoky, even down in town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks for posting a pic of Timp. If you can have a favorite mountain, I think that one's mine. (As opposed to all I have now, which is a favorite cornfield LOL.) I have happy memories of hiking up there while in school! And being somewhat in the artillery business -- Holy Cow! Someone really screwed up! But then you knew that huh? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say HUNKER DOWN!!!!! That snow is beautiful!!! Brrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pic, I'd hide in the basement as well. And nope -- of all the places to hold a film festival in winter, I've never figured out why they chose the mountains of Utah. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's scary! But that mountain is so beautiful. I think the Utah Olympics was one of my all time faves. Hubby and I were so tempted to hop in the car and make the trek to SLC. No events, no tickets... just wanted to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was awful yesterday, wasn't it! Today it is so cold. I had about 4" of snow blown on my whole drive and pathways this morning when I went to work very very early. I didn't even hardly dent the frozen snow when I walked on it, it was frozen so solid overnight. Brrr.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an incredibly beautiful photo! I am shivering as I write this - partly because of the photo, and partly becuase it is 34 degrees here, and the wind is howling! BRRRRRRR is right! Try to stay warm in your bomb shelter!

    ReplyDelete