Monday, February 11, 2008

Snow Canyon State Park



On Saturday, between the pageant's family brunch and the actual pageant, we had some free time. My husband and Soccer Guy already had plans to hit the links. There's certainly no golfing going on here in northern Utah, but it's a whole different story in St. George. While the guys were off chasing little white balls, I took Blondie, the Ballerina and Soccer Guy's Girlfriend out to one of my favorite spots in southern Utah...Snow Canyon State Park.


Snow Canyon (named after Lorenzo and Erastus Snow...not the white stuff) is a beautiful mixture of jagged volanic rock and vibrant red and white sandstone mountains. The weather was perfect for hiking and the girls and I enjoyed climbing in and out of volcanic caverns and up and down the petrified sand dunes. Typically we've been there during the spring or summer when the temperatures are quite high, but on Saturday we enjoyed cool temperatures and wore long sleeves and jackets. By the end of the two hours spent there, we had worked up a sweat and were ready for lunch.


It was a wonderful afternoon that we will not soon forget. I'm so grateful to live in a place with such diverse beauty.

4 comments:

  1. Oh what a lovely day it sounds like you had in the valley. Sigh. warm enough to go outside. Yeah, I'm so ready for winter to be over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my - what a wonderful place to spend the day. Sounds like a good time was had by all *s* Congrats to College Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the scenery around St.George. When we were there a few years ago, we went to Zions National Park, which was breathtaking, but I didn't know about this place. How far out of St. George is it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Envy envy envy. I wish MY girls could have tagged along. Such unforgettable memories of my childhood involved those Southern Utah Red Rocks!

    ReplyDelete